The Village of Whitney was originally a mission area with church services held in the local schoolhouse. By 1895, the workers at the St Anthony’s Lumber Company in Whitney expressed the need for a church. Lumber was donated by the owner of the lumber company and the donations were collected from workers to build the first church, an interdenominational church to be used by Protestants.
In 1925, the Anglican and United Churches were issued the land title deed and both congregations worshipped there until 1974 when the United Church got their own building.
Today, St Anthony’s sits on the hill overlooking Algonquin Park and Hwy 60, standing witness to the long Anglican presence in this area.